Menu

Following on from "Who married their childhood sweethea

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

funkychunky Posts: 205
I hope to god that the plenty more fish in the sea theory is right because i broke up with my childhood sweetheart after Christmas, we were together 8 years and i'm 24! If there isn't then thats me screwed! :eek
gerbil Posts: 3528
I'm so sorry - that's so hard. I honestly think you'll be alright; not right now and it'll take time but yes, there are more people out there who potentially suit you than you'll ever think. The problem with very early relationships is that sometimes, not always, the people grow apart too much. I was in a long term relationship from 19 for three years and then another for 7 years. When the second one broke up I thought i would never ever love anyone again. It took time but I am happier with DH, our love is better, we suit each other more, than I ever could have imagined with either of my early loves. Also I got to do wonderful things and experience a lot between them and DH and that was also a plus. Somewhere there is a person who is perfect for you. This relationship isn;t the love of your life, because it broke up. It wasn;t meant to be. The love of your life is waiting for you.
Cathy34 Posts: 1068
[quote="funkychunky":adsfhf74]I hope to god that the plenty more fish in the sea theory is right because i broke up with my childhood sweetheart after Christmas, we were together 8 years and i'm 24! If there isn't then thats me screwed! :eek[/quote:adsfhf74] Of course there are - don't worry. Enjoy your time being single even if it's hard and you will get there eventually :o0
katgirl Posts: 1258
sorry to hear that break ups are never easy, when you with someone for that long from when you are young sometimes you just grow into different people and want different things and its better to realise that now rather than another 8 years down line, you are still young and mr right is out there for you but before you settle down again have plenty of fun looking for him in the meantime! O-O
funkychunky Posts: 205
[quote="gerbil":2n3v61ic]I'm so sorry - that's so hard. I honestly think you'll be alright; not right now and it'll take time but yes, there are more people out there who potentially suit you than you'll ever think. The problem with very early relationships is that sometimes, not always, the people grow apart too much. I was in a long term relationship from 19 for three years and then another for 7 years. When the second one broke up I thought i would never ever love anyone again. It took time but I am happier with DH, our love is better, we suit each other more, than I ever could have imagined with either of my early loves. Also I got to do wonderful things and experience a lot between them and DH and that was also a plus. Somewhere there is a person who is perfect for you. This relationship isn;t the love of your life, because it broke up. It wasn;t meant to be. The love of your life is waiting for you.[/quote:2n3v61ic] Thats exactly what happened, we just grew apart! We loved each other but we are so different people now than we were 16! Its pretty hard and i'm not looking at the moment for anyone else. no offense to anyone, i appreciate advice but i don't know how you can enjoy being single when all you have known for 8 years of your life is being with someone! although i'm sure that it will get easier and i will start to have fun again, just not for a while i guess :action34
gerbil Posts: 3528
I agree - I think if given a choice - would you prefer your soulmate by your side or be single - most people would opt for soulmate. but when it's not the right person, all the perks of going out with someone (not being alone, having someone in your life to share things etc) all just lose their allure eventually. In the end, probably the best thing is to try to enjoy whatever you're doing right now - in your case it's being single - but enjoy it as a new experience, a learning experience, and one that will be for a finite period. Eventually you'll go back to having someone in your life again, so seeing as you're single in between live it to the full.
she Posts: 3298
Your 24 not 84, you'll be fine.......get yourself out there girl!!!!!!!
Trixy3 Posts: 2041
Funky Chunky...I too had a childhood sweetheart and it ended after 6 years...but look at me now...you will be fine hun...take as much time as you need to get back in the dating game and then hit it with a bang.... ENJOY :wv
mrsb09 Posts: 1292
i met my first boyfriend in first year, all very harmless, would meet up for a few hours on sunday and maybe one lunchtime during the week, (would have to sneak out of school to do this), was still with him in second year and still when doing my leaving, despite my poor parents going mad. stayed with him until i was 19 then had a family tradegy and got back him until i nearly 22, thought i was going to die without him, was very hurt and angry. i am now nearly 29 and marrying a great guy truly is my bestfriend. i left my hometown after i broke with first bf, came home for visits and always came home do stuff around the hse for my mam, and my mate from school was getting married went out at home for first time in very long and met this guy who i know all my life and we just clicked. so some things happen for a reason, you will be on here in a few years planning your big day and happier than you ever were... sorry for spilling my heart out and such a long post... :o0
tlove Posts: 572
I was with someone from 17 to 22 spent a while on my own and then met my lovely boyfriend. Chin up I seriously wouldnt worry about it.. Enjoy being single my dear!!