Menu

How do you get on with your colleagues? - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Phoenix Posts: 836
Hey River, I get on well with the people I work with, I am lucky in the current job, they are all fairly young and a good balance of male/female. My last job however was a different story.....all female dept, and a total beatch of a boss who honestly believed that she was above the rest of us......needless to say I didn't stay to long there!! The people you work with are so important as you spend so many hours of your life in work........I really don't have any practical advice, know what you mean about the money factor. What do you do? Asking cos we are looking for people where I work (and some of our clients are looking for staff as well) might be able to help you move on?? PM me if you want to. Phoenix
Youagain Posts: 576
Do inmates count as colleagues ?
Frankie Posts: 1571
The business I work in is male dominated so my team are all male, bar me. I get on extremely well with my team, they're a great shower. There are other girls in the office but I find it very hard to get on with them or even find the time to stop and chat as my crowd have me so busy. It means it's easier to work and then go home with a clear mind though. I have worked with other women and found it very hard to deal with the backbiting and bitchyness that comes from women working closely together. I would go so far as to say that I would never work with a female boss!
River Posts: 845
I've only been working with this woman since Monday but I know that the last person doing my job didn't get on with her. Unfortunately I was ill yesterday and today. I went home early yesterday and that didn't go down too well. In fairness if we'd been busy I would have stayed but she could manage fine without me. I asked my manager what the protocol was in relation to calling in sick if I was out today and I was told to not worry about it and they'd see me when I felt better. This morning then I got a message to say that my colleague was trying to get in touch to see why I hadn't turned up for work. I phoned her and told her I'd sent her a text last night to say I wouldn't be in. But she gave a big sigh and then told me that I should have called in to her this morning. I didn't have the energy or inclination to explain that I'd already told my manager that I probably wouoldn't be in. This woman is the same grade as me and has no authority over me. I had heard that she was being bullied by the person that I've replaced but somehow I find that difficult to believe. Anyway, I can only hope that things improve. I'm going to go in tomorrow as I feel much better and set her straight on a few things. Maybe things will improve. I'm nearly regretting taking this job now.
Frankie Posts: 1571
It's still early days yet River so I'd give it a bit longer. You never know, if she was bullied by your predecessor, then she might have been used to being treated like crap and expects you to behave the same. Her guard might be well up so that the same thing doesn't happen again to her - I'm not saying you would but you know what I mean! Anyway, I hope you're feeling a little bit better by the morning and best of luck back in work tomorrow.
River Posts: 845
[quote:6g3rzmz9]Anyway, I hope you're feeling a little bit better by the morning and best of luck back in work tomorrow.[/quote:6g3rzmz9] Thanks Frankie. Just had a very large brandy and honey so off to bed!
lamb nose Posts: 679
Dootsay Posts: 958
I used to work in Dublin in a 50:50 office, I really loved it there, now I am working in a male environment (big time) I'm the only girl on the team, and the lads are like mice, they say nothing! - we do work in a pressurised IT environment where we are short staffed, but I really miss my last place, but I supposed that's the sacrifice I made for marriage. I do wish the lads would lighten up a bit & chat a bit more, cos it definitely helps the days pass quicker, bring me some girlies quick! :D
Mistified Posts: 2680
It's a love/hate thing with my colleagues. They love me and I hate them. :lol: They were weirdos when I joined first, very cliquey and unfriendly. Things have improved with time as they've gotten to know me but I just can't trust them, they were so horrible to me for the first 6 months. They tend to be over-compensating for it now but it's too little too late as far as I'm concerned. I get on great with all the lads here though. There's no nonsense with them, just craic.
Pink Shoe Posts: 2300
i prefere to work with men any day... its ok now in my office new people have started