Menu

how to get in touch again

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Take 2! Posts: 403
have you ever fallen out with someone who was really close and then gotten back in touch?? how did you do it? I have lost touch with one friend, we were really close for years and she was great to me when going through loads with my ex (her bro) but we have lost contact now, sometimes i would love to get back in touch with her but don't want to open a can of worms with the ex. He has moved on and is with someone else, has a kid and all, but i still think it could cause problems from him if i did Do you think ppl can be friends with their siblings ex or is it better left in the past!
gottabfp Posts: 5641
of course you still can. if you were as good friends as you sound to be then go for it. boyfriends come and go friends stay for life and all that. just ask her out for coffee or something, if she says no then at least you tried. best of luck x
woohoo09 Posts: 630
only you know the ins and outs of it, but a bit of advice I got once which has stuck with me is ... "remember that there's a reason that the people in your past didn't make it into your present" :wv
Mrs2babridesoon Posts: 3319
edit
roma2011 Posts: 1208
H2B's brother was going out with a lovely girl for seven years. I lived with both of them, as did H2B, so we were very good friends with her. He broke up with her in the end as it wasn't working out for them. Both H2B and I are still in contact with her, although there was about 6 months where contact was a little less than usual in the immediate aftermath of the breakup. She is invited to our engagement party, and will be invited to our wedding. If she feels that it is too awkward for her I'll understand. People move on - time is a great healer. Just give her a call. Ask her if she feels awkward getting back in touch, and say that you understand if she does. You cant do much more than that!
Take 2! Posts: 403
I can't text or call her as i deleted her no.......... within weeks of me and the Ex ending he got another girl (who he is still with pregnant) when i found out as you do in a small town, i was distraught! i was also very upset at the sis as she hadn't told me and instead let me find out in a horrible way, as i would expect a friend to. Have heard lately from a friend who met her out that she wants to get back in contact just not sure if it will open a can of worms or not............ have heard she married her then boyf lately who i introduced her to so its weird to not have even congratulated her. can't call to her home because the Ex built next door with his new woman which was meant to be our home so couldn't face seeing it!!
babbiigurl Posts: 120
[quote="Shotgun!":24l18t2u]I can't text or call her as i deleted her no.......... within weeks of me and the Ex ending he got another girl (who he is still with pregnant) when i found out as you do in a small town, i was distraught! i was also very upset at the sis as she hadn't told me and instead let me find out in a horrible way, as i would expect a friend to. Have heard lately from a friend who met her out that she wants to get back in contact just not sure if it will open a can of worms or not............ have heard she married her then boyf lately who i introduced her to so its weird to not have even congratulated her. can't call to her home because the Ex built next door with his new woman which was meant to be our home so couldn't face seeing it!![/quote:24l18t2u] What about looking her up on a social network site e.g facebook or bebo?? i lost touch with some of my friends over the years and have found this great to get back in touch again, if not would there be a mutual friend who might have a contact number for her??especially after her saying she'd like to get back in contact aswell.
Mrs2babridesoon Posts: 3319
Oh! Shotgun! There seems to have been a lot of hurt there for you which indirectly is tied to this girl. Could starting some sort of friendship stir up old feelings in you? You must also remember that this girl is now an aunty to this couples child. They live beside each other. And she could now have a close relationship with her brothers partner. The reality is if you invite her into your life again are you okay with hearing reference to your ex his partner their child even in passing. Any friendship would mean understanding and huge consideration of each other. 'can't call to her home because the Ex built next door with his new woman which was meant to be our home so couldn't face seeing it!!' I feel you're still very tender about this situation from comment above, I'd leave it in the past, just to protect yourself from any further pain. I think your emotonal wellbeing is far more important than that friendship.
Serendipity2009 Posts: 1224
If you haven't got her/his number still, what about Facebook? I have found loads of old college friends and school friends on this, and have been talking to people I haven't talked to in years. From this I got back in contact with 2 of my friends from college that I haven't talked to in a few years and now I have invited them to my wedding, it will be a college reunion!!
roma2011 Posts: 1208
Yep I think Facebook is probably your best bet by the sounds of things. I got in touch with some people I spent one year in primary school with on it! But the point made above about having to bear in mind that others have moved on and being prepared to accept that is very important. Don't use the friendship as a snooping exercise because you will be suspected of that from day 1. It must be friendship for friendship's sake. If you're not over the relationship yet then don't go there.