Menu

Inlaws

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

crazylady10 Posts: 539
Hi got a huge problem. My fiances parents and brothers have decided that they wont go to out wedding over my fiance not spending enough time at home when he goes back to the home county. Things have just escalated out of control. How do i arrange the top table so that it doesnt look so terrible that my parents are there and his arent?? I need advice!
gerbil Posts: 3528
:eek that's terrible. your poor H2B Firstly when is the wedding? if it's still some time away i would concentrate on healing the rift rather than just accept it - maybe H2B could write to them, or spend some time with them before the wedding? they're deciding not to come is a pretty big step to take over something trivial, so i would wonder are there other issues? Are they unhappy with your relationship or afraid he'll settle down too far away from them? anyway best of luck with it all. If the worst happens why not just have you two or your two and your BM/Best Man at a table?
MrsKA Posts: 878
That's awful. What you could do is have a round top table. I think no one would notice with this set up. Then you can have 2 round tables that would normally make up one toptable IYKWIM.
she Posts: 3298
[quote="gerbil":20qz3irw]:eek that's terrible. your poor H2B Firstly when is the wedding? if it's still some time away i would concentrate on healing the rift rather than just accept it - maybe H2B could write to them, or spend some time with them before the wedding? they're deciding not to come is a pretty big step to take over something trivial, so i would wonder are there other issues? Are they unhappy with your relationship or afraid he'll settle down too far away from them? anyway best of luck with it all. If the worst happens why not just have you two or your two and your BM/Best Man at a table?[/quote:20qz3irw] god thats terrible!!!!!!i would be on the same thinking as gerbil, see can he sort it out first but if not go for the bride/groom/bestman/bridesmaids....put anyone else at the nearest table to you good luck with it all
crazylady10 Posts: 539
well we have tried to sort it out but they just keep rowing. he was there over xmas in the house an was made feel very unwelcome. they also asked him to return the key of the house to them. All because hes not down in the home county that often. Hes been living away from home the last 7 years. its ridiculous. The weddings in June. And thanks for the replies. Dont think id like a round table as we would have our backs to some of the crowd and i wouldnt like to do that.
she Posts: 3298
then unfourtunately i dont think theres much you can do.........just try make your wedding the happiest day and try forget about them......good luck
gerbil Posts: 3528
you've done all ye can, just concentrate on enjoying your day now - hope it works out and you don't let it spoil the occasion! :thnk
Mrs Cuddles! Posts: 835
Maybe if your parents are ok with it, have them sit with their friends/family in the first table rather than sitting them up at the top table? that way there are no parents up there and it wont look too bad. His parents will probably come around, Im sure they will be thinking of how it looks if they dont show. Try not to worry about it too much, they may come around yet.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
:eek :eek :eek :eek OMG i cannot believe that!! such attention seeking behaviour - trying to make it about themselves!! totally shocked - i dont know what to say - maybe having no parents on the top table might work as someone else said - but why should your parents miss out just because his are carrying on like spoilt brats!!
Trixi Belle Posts: 55
Tell them that they are sitting in accordance with your table plan and tough sh1t because it is you and your fiancee's day and what you say goes and if they can't be supportive that they can coose not to go at all (hopefully call their bluff), or maybe ask them how they would feel if your fiancee asked someone else to sit up at the top table such as his godparents or grandparents or an uncle and aunt? :wv