Menu

Money Issues - V sorry but its quite an essay! - Page 8

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
I think if you don't come to some arrangement whereby you share all your assets, you won't have anything but a miserable time. If you do pay 50/50, a greater proportion of your income will go towards the basics while his surplus monies will be piling up, which will leave you in a very weak position if you separate.
Delish Posts: 4176
[quote="lets go fly a kite":1k2x9m6t]I think if you don't come to some arrangement whereby you share all your assets, you won't have anything but a miserable time. If you do pay 50/50, a greater proportion of your income will go towards the basics while his surplus monies will be piling up, which will leave you in a very weak position if you separate.[/quote:1k2x9m6t] If the OP lives in the same means as she did before meeting her partner then she'll be in a no worse off financial position than if she had never met him. So what I'm suggesting is she says to him, we can do any of the following; 1. Live within my means and pay for everything 50/50, and spell out to him that by chosing this option it means living a less luxurious lifestyle. 2. Living within his means where he'll have to subsidise the OP and where he agrees not to put any pressure on her as a result of his extra financial input or be resentful towards her. 3. Break up. By the sounds of things this guy is too fond of the highlife to choose No 1. So that only leaves him with options 2 and 3. I suppose the biggest problem for the OP is that he may never change, he may always be resentful. OP can you gage whether he will ever accept that you simply do not have as much money as him? Do you think he will always resent you for not being as financially secure as him? If he can't get over this, do you want to live in a home filled with resentment?