Menu

Advice wanted

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

anonforprob Posts: 2
Am a reg user on here, but am going anon for this. Just found out that my sis was raped last week. Appears to have been drugged as cannot remember much, and was sick (never is sick with drink). She has some vague memories. She seems to be coping well - went to doc two days later and also to college counsellor. She has said it to many of her friends (as a warning I think), and to a manager at work (support I assume). She has a good support network between friends and family. To me the worst thing about it all is that this was her first time. I just don't know how to help.
cat in the hat Posts: 120
all you can do is be there to help her when she needs it. if she needs specific counselling she should contact rape crisis centre. also has she been to sexual assault treatment unit (in rotunda and one in cork too i think). did she have all the medical tests (STI screening etc) - nasty but has to be done i'm afraid. hope she'll be ok.
anonforprob Posts: 2
She hasn't had tests yet cos the doc told her that some of them would not show for two weeks. I think she has an apointment for next week. I'm actually really impressed at how strong she is being.
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
Jesus that is terrible the poor poor thing. As the op said just be there to support her etc.. Take care of your little sister
thebrideof2009 Posts: 1416
god my heart goes out to her all your family .... ive a little sister too n can only imagine wat your going throuh . there are so many sick twisted bastards out there n all cowards...... makes me so angry take care
whackywoman Posts: 1496
god help her. Someone like the Rape Crisis centre would probably be able to help with counselling
nelly Posts: 1875
what doctor ? surely she needed swabs done sooner than later? not being funny but it is always remarked on in the TV shows. What does the doctor want to show up in 2 weeks?
joer Posts: 1617
oh my God, thats awful, so sorry to hear that. As other posters have said, just try and be there for her, she may be strong now, but it could be shock too and she might be down for the next few weeks. Please just ensure she gets all the correct tests, and morning after , if not too late.
willow-tree Posts: 217
That is awful, I am really really sorry that this has happened to your sister. I know someone who works in the rape crisis centre and they really are amazing help to people in your sisters situation.
ntab Posts: 156
Nelly, I'm no expert on this, but I think the swabs that need to be done right away are the ones for physical evidence relating to the attack. If you're looking for illness, it's different - some take time before they are detectable.