Menu

Is it ok for a woman to hit her H2B or even boyfriend?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bobdcow Posts: 53
Is it ok for a woman to hit her significant other. And if she did hit him, is it ok for him to hit back? Only asking because last night in a nightclub, a woman started attacking her boyfriend and no one intervened, everyone looked on and once he defended himself by pushing the woman away he was set upon by other males and most people in the area went over to the woman and asked her was she ok. A male friend of mine said it was a disgrace that she was pushed totally oblivious to the beating (punches and slaps to the face) he had recieved and when I pointed it out to him he said a woman should never be hit.
she Posts: 3298
no its not ok for a women to hit her partner, i have seen this so many times women hitting their partners then crying if the partners try and hold them back that the men are beating them up and imo in this day and age if you purposely hit(by hit i mean a severe punch) a man then you should expect one back........
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
Ok 13 or so people have read this and no response so i will give it a go. It is never alright for one perspn to hit another and it is never alright to hit back. I presume there is more to your question and if you could fill us, perhaps we could help with no recrimination. I know this question was asked before and a 'row' broke out demonising the original poster but if you want to explain further and get advice either do it here or pm if that helps. dont know what i could say but i will try to help
livadia Posts: 351
[quote="bobdcow":g1pgy0yp]Is it ok for a woman to hit her significant other. And if she did hit him, is it ok for him to hit back?[/quote:g1pgy0yp] Why do you ask? Livadia
bobdcow Posts: 53
additional info added.
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
[quote="bobdcow":119hnt8l]Is it ok for a woman to hit her significant other. And if she did hit him, is it ok for him to hit back? Only asking because last night in a nightclub, a woman started attacking her boyfriend and no one intervened, everyone looked on and once he defended himself by pushing the woman away he was set upon by other males and most people in the area went over to the woman and asked her was she ok. A male friend of mine said it was a disgrace that she was pushed totally oblivious to the beating (punches and slaps to the face) he had recieved and when I pointed it out to him he said a woman should never be hit.[/quote:119hnt8l] These people probably are just itching for a fight and think that's a good way to start one in a way that won't show them up to be the knackers they are because they were defending a 'lady's' honour. No it's not acceptable for her to hit him BUT I would imagine that he was strong enough to restrain her to prevent her from hitting him, without actually having to push her.
milis Posts: 7998
[quote="Peaseblossom":3pnrd6w9]It is never alright for one perspn to hit another and it is never alright to hit back. [/quote:3pnrd6w9] Agree with above, and I'd add, it is ok to restrain, or push away someone who is trying to hit you. Pushing away would cause less physical hurt than restraining, so I don't think that's a problem.
Delish Posts: 4176
Nope not ok. Awful situation for a man to be in, I suppose he could report her for assaulting him, but we are so programmed to protect women that it's really difficult for a man to take action against a woman who is assaulting him, he looks like a wimp if he complains her to the Gardai, but that muct be the best thing to do. All this crying after attacking him is just emotional blackmail.
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
Absolutely not. Although I'm not suprised by what happened when he pushed her...sounds like typically ignorant 'mob' mentality to me. Neither party was 'right' in this case...but it brings to mind the amount of men who face domestic abuse.
graceface Posts: 3632
Absolutely not. It's never ok. I can understand the mentality of those who point out that a woman is less likely to cause actual physical injury to man than he is in a reversed situation. But in all fairness - there's more to violence than just the physical aspect. There's the element of humiliation and control that are still equally potent when a woman is the perpetrator and a man is the victim. As the old domestic violence slogan goes - "you don't need a bruise to be abused". It's true. If my little brother or a smaller person hit me, it may not necessarily cause me much physical injury, but that doesn't make it acceptable. In short, no. It's never ok. Violent women disgust me every bit as much as their male counterparts. I can't stand them. To me it signifies ignorance, and an inability to deal with issues in any manner other than a slap, which is just stupid >:o( urrrrrgh, just reading this has cheesed me off O:|